Monday, June 25, 2007

Catching fish is something that happens to other people

So, while I haven't been fishing "a great deal" I have been known to head out on the occasional fishing excursion. Sometimes serious, but often just an excuse to head to the beach and enjoy the weather. I have never caught a fish. And not for lack of trying on those few serious trips. This, however, has never been a deterrent to continuing to fish. I still like to go, just to have a good time outside. Enter the weekend...
Russell and I decided to go fishing over the weekend, while normally we go to the beach and cast from shore, I made a few calls, and found it was increadibly cheap to rent a Canoe for four hours out of Flamingo in Everglades National Park. So Sunday morning, at the unholy hour of 5:30am we took off for Flamingo, arriving at 7am, right as the rental place opened.
Fishing like this was excellent, the water was beautiful, the bugs didn't bother us (though we weren't sure if this was due to being out on the water rather than back in the mangrove, or the high percentage deet sprayed tactfully on some clothing)and the fish were jumping. We couldn't have asked for a better day on the water.

We paddled around, cast and cast and were surrounded by snook and tarpon.
Russell caught and released two snook and a catfish.

This is the larger snook, just before release.
I cast and cast...and caught nothing. I did have two strikes, but they let go before I could hook them. This is a definate improvement in my luck, however, as normally fish ignore my lures all together. Despite not catching anything, I couldn't have asked for a better day, it was pleasant, sunny and I got to see lots of fish, two ospreys really close, a swallowtail kite, a manatee that hung out in front of our canoe for a while and a bunch of dolphins that were intensely fishing a couple hundred yards away. Yay canoe fishing!

No comments: